Are you the vision that you wanted to be in 2020? Or is your style still so last year? The Barely Xtensions style crew is helping people elevate their looks for the new year (and new decade) to rock 2020 beautifully.
“A new year is the perfect time to reboot. Look at your beauty routine, the products you’re using and daily habits to freshen up your style. And make sure you’re not making any common beauty blunders that could be sabotaging your look,” said Nadine Mullings, Brand and Product Development Director at Barely Xtensions.
Moving forward, the Barely Xtensions team urges you to avoid these top Beauty Blunders in the new year:
- Making it up. Strive for the right amount of makeup in 2020. Too much makeup can look overdone and mask beautiful features. A common mistake is applying foundation all over the face – instead, it should cover blemishes, dark circles, and other imperfections. Makeup should enhance your natural beauty and make you look radiant.
- Throwing Shade. The average woman spends a whopping $300,000 on makeup in their lifetime, according to Skin Store. And, sometimes, women make mistakes with their purchases. For instance, choosing the wrong shade of foundation. Makeup that’s too dark (or too light) will look obvious and unnatural. As we age, our makeup routine needs to evolve accordingly. If you have fine lines around your eyes (or anywhere on your face), don’t wear loose powder that could accentuate these lines.
- Stuck in a Rut. Seasons, colors, and styles change, but are you stuck in your comfort zone – afraid to commit to a new style or look? Cheating is easy with tools like the 3-in-1 Hair Wrap or ponytail from Barely Xtensions. You can add length, volume, colors, and play with different styles – without a permanent commitment.
- Use it or lose it. Yes, makeup expires, so be sure to regularly throw out the old and buy new products. Mascara expires after three months. Foundation, concealer, and eyeliner should be tossed after six months. Lipstick expires after a year. Get rid of blush, eye shadow, and powder after two years. Whenever any makeup is cracked, dry, or separating, toss it and replace it. Also, get rid of any eye makeup that you used while having an eye infection (such as conjunctivitis) to avoid re-infection. Ditto for lipstick or gloss that you used with a cold sore.
- Tornado Alley. Does it look like a storm blew through your bathroom every morning after you get ready? Are your primping basics in complete disarray? Spend some time organizing makeup, hair products, and beauty tools so everything is easy to find. Group like with like blushes together, lipsticks together, and so on. Get a pretty glass or another container to hold long items, like eyeliners and lip glosses. Use bins, jars, baskets, and other organizers that can help corral beauty products. The simple act of organizing products will streamline your routine and save time.
- Being a Dirty Bird. Wash your face every night before bed. Sleeping with a face full of makeup can lead to clogged pores, blackheads, and dreaded zits. Also, wash your face after a sweaty session at the gym to keep skin healthy. If you want to take that extra step try a deep cleaning with a rotating brush.
- Screen isn’t Routine. While you may lather up with sunscreen for a day at the beach, many people neglect to make sunscreen part of their daily routine. That’s a mistake, as we’re all exposed to the sun’s damaging rays every day – while walking the dog, waiting at the bus stop, going for a run, running errands, and more. Find a moisturizer with SPF and make this part of a daily routine. Also, find an SPF that you like for your body, and use it regularly to protect skin.
- Quenching the Thirst. If you're dehydrated, it doesn't matter how much moisturizer and lotion you slather on – your skin will be dehydrated, dry and itchy. One of the best things you can do for skin (and overall health) is to drink plenty of water each day.
“The Barely Xtensions team wants everyone to look and feel their best this year, so be sure you’re not making any of these common mistakes in 2020,” Mullings added. “Avoid these Beauty Blunders for your most beautiful year ever.”