Take part in an extensive online community of aesthetic professionals and distributors. Communicate through groups and forums, stay current with blogs, check out upcoming events, and catch up on recent community activity.
Read from hundreds of articles on topics like skin care, body, business, beauty, and wellness. Access featured videos, as well as products and news, and stay current on all the industry’s latest trends.
Scroll through this vast database of product distributors, search by category, and watch informational videos from featured companies. Add your own company and products as a resource to other professionals.
Gain access to DERMASCOPE’s digital magazine and find resources for subscribing to our print magazine and newsletter, our editorial calendar, guidelines on submitting press and editorial content, our media kit, and results for the Aesthetician’s Choice Awards.
Body wraps have been around for centuries and there is a good reason why this profitable service continues to grow in popularity. Wraps are relaxing, non-invasive, and provide holistic benefits, including detoxification, anti-aging skin rejuvenation, and cellulite reduction.
1. Perfect for the client seeking wellness services in a spa environment, body wraps offer holistic health benefits that detoxify the body while also remineralizing and nourishing the skin with vitamins and herbal extract nutrients.
2. Professionals should select body wrap treatments based on the areas of concern requested by the client. A detoxifying wrap usually involves ingredients that are herbal- or clay-based, such as bentonite, and draw out impurities and toxins from the skin. Hydrating wraps provide skin renewing and firming benefits by using emollient-rich products with natural antioxidants, such as pomegranate and bio-peptides that improve skin structure. Cellulite wraps consist of stimulating products that are formulated with lipolytic ingredients, such as niacin, caffeine, and carnitine.
3. Body wraps are versatile and can help clients with both beauty and health concerns at the same time. Depending on the client's desired results, body wraps are most effective when provided in a series of two treatments per week for four weeks.
4. It is always beneficial for professionals to create innovative add-ons that amplify the service's value, thereby increasing client loyalty. When the client is comfortably swaddled in their body wrap, offer them a cooling eye mask or a soothing scalp massage to further increase their levels of relaxation.
5. The nutrient-rich ingredients of body wraps work most effectively when the skin is properly exfoliated. The first step in a body wrap protocol should include dry brushing or manual exfoliation with gentle abrasives, such as walnut shells, sea minerals, or coffee grounds. Skin exfoliation can also be achieved through a body peel by applying an alpha hydroxy acid, such as glycolic acid, that can be easily removed with damp towels.
6. Clients should be informed of body wrap contraindications. It is imperative for professionals to thoroughly review consent forms. Clients receiving a body wrap for the first time may be unaware that some conditions may prevent treatment. Pregnancy, blood disorders, and epilepsy are all conditions that are contraindicated without a doctor's note. Include a contraindication list in the spa menu or have the receptionist go over it verbally with the client when booking.
7. Incorporating aromatherapy as part of the body wrap experience and/or implementing seasonal body wrap recipes with ingredients such as pumpkin in autumn and chocolate around Valentine's Day will keep the service current and alluring.
8. Advise clients to refrain from shaving for at least 24 hours before a body wrap service to minimize the risk of discomfort and irritation.
9. Because exfoliation and hydrating body wraps will leave the client with a gorgeous glow, recommend daily post-care products for use between body wraps to help maintain results.
10. When the service is concluded, always supply the client with a glass of water and instruct them to stay hydrated. Since body wraps stimulate the lymphatic system and aid in the removal of toxins, drinking plenty of water is imperative to fully flushing impurities from the body.
Jeri Ross, MPH, is a licensed health educator with more than 25 years of experience working in public health. She formulated Institut' DERMed's world-renowned CelluliteRx® products and is a recognized speaker, trainer, and advocate for women's health and wellness.