Have you heard of face yoga, a new way to keep skin looking younger, firmer, and healthier? Read on to discover tips and benefits of this trending, new practice.
THE FOREHEAD DAB
For preventing and reducing forehead lines, the forehead dab is key.
- Start with the eyes open or closed, whichever feels more comfortable.
- Place the palm of the hand on the right side of the forehead. Press, or dab, the forehead gently, moving gradually across to the left, then back toward the right.
- Start with one dab per second, then gradually slow it down to one dab every 10 seconds. Do this exercise for one minute in total.
Benefits: Relaxing the frontalis muscle of the forehead means less tension. This exercise also improves circulation, keeping the skin refreshed and glowing.
Top Tip: Use this exercise to practice keeping the forehead still while widening the eyes – a great way to avoid expression lines.
THE EYEBROW LIFT
This move is used for reducing and preventing hooded eyes.
- Place two index fingers under the eyebrows. Very slowly, close the eyes and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat twice more. A shaking should be felt in the upper part of the eyelids.
- Lift the hands away from the eyebrows and place all fingertips in the middle of the forehead. Very gently, smooth the fingers away from each other toward the temples and, then, lift off. Keep the eyes wide and don’t raise the eyebrows. Repeat for 30 seconds.
Benefits: The muscles in the forehead work against the resistance of the finger, which helps to build strength and tone.
Top Tip: Because this exercise asks to raise the eyebrows, it should be followed by a forehead massage to ensure that the forehead muscle is relaxed following the exercise.
For reducing and preventing lines between the eyebrows, the butterfly is ideal.
- Using the index finger, middle finger, and ring finger on both hands, smooth the area between the eyebrows. Move the hands away from each other and, when they reach the hair line, look down and hold for 10 seconds.
- Bring the fingers back to the starting position and repeat twice more.
- Now, do the same exercise (three sets of 10 seconds), but with the eyes wide open, ensuring not to raise the eyebrows.
Benefits: The massaging action helps to relieve tension in the procerus muscle, which runs between the eyebrows, which can prevent lines being formed.
Top Tip: Try not to drag the skin too much with this exercise.
The thinker is great for preventing and reducing a double chin.
- Make a fist and place it under the chin, pushing upward slightly.
- Open and close the mouth 30 times. Keep pushing upward slightly. The chin should be parallel to the floor.
- Now, hold the mouth open and, very slightly, wrap the lips around the teeth. Hold for 30 seconds.
Benefits: This exercise works on toning and strengthening many of the lower face muscles and the fist acts as resistance to work the muscles in the lower jaw area.
Top Tip: If it feels more comfortable, rest the elbow on a table.